Monday, April 23, 2012

Strep Throat


A couple of weeks ago we all had strep throat and I forgot how painful it is I mean it hurt so much I could not turn my head.  It has been at least 15 plus years since I had it and poor Shawn had never had it so he was down for the count.  We had guests so honestly I continued my normal activities showing people around, taking care of kids, and the list goes on I popped some ibuprofen and off I went. 

Symeon came down with it first or so we thing?!  He ran a 103 fever for several days and vomited a few times fyi vomiting can be a symptom of strep in kids I was glad I knew that since his symptoms did not add up to the flu so I figured strep.  He was so sad it was hard to watch but after one dose of antibiotic he improved greatly.  Next was me like I said miserable but mobile when I went to the doctor the short test said I didn't have it but the long test said I did so I was miserable for an extra 24 hours with a virus which was anything but a virus.  Once again within one does of my antibiotic I was feeling so much better.  Then Shawn came down with it and since he never gets anything I knew it was going to be bad and it was.  He laid in bed which is unheard of and when he went to the doctor he got a shot instead of pills and it took 2 more days to see any major improvement.  It was terrible he insists I wasn't as sick as him or else I would have been laying down as well and I insist I just have way more practice being sick so I manage a bit better than him.

So you might be wondering about Babes well so were we in the midst of major illness, high fevers, and even Shawn being sick she continued to be fever free and happy go lucky as usual.  I found this a bit hard to believe so I took her just to make sure well low and behold Babes had strep but she has not symptoms I mean it not one.  No fever, no throat pain nothing eating happy and on her way.  The doctor chuckled and said I think you have a carrier on  your hands which if you are like me I had not idea what she meant.  Our dear sweet girl carries strep and can give it to people but had not symptoms herself.  So they treated her with drugs and we went back a few weeks later to test her again.  We were lucky it was gone but we won't know if she has it again until one of us gets it and she sits smiling and eating while we are all miserable.  If you know our dear Marin being a carrier seems about right for some reason it seems to fit her and everyone I told laughed and said the same thing.  My Dad said she like typhoid Mary taking care of the people who were ill and all the time being the carrier giving it to everyone and never getting sick.  Marin is prone to nick names but I am going to avoid Typhoid Mary although the shoe fits. 

No comments: