Monday, December 28, 2009

Stall Techniques

Symeon has become a master at stalling.  When it is time to do something he does not like he suddenly is so thirsty he is going to pass out without a drink or he is so hungry he can't possibly take another step without consuming some food.

A great example is when it is time to go to bed.  He frantically looks around for something he needs to do before heading off to bed.  Tonight I was laughing so hard because when I said ok Symeon give Daddy loves it is time to go to bed he began to cry and went into his room and closed the door.  I thought well I guess he is going to bed.  A minute later he came out and went to the fridge saying he was hungry.  I am always a bit torn when it comes to denying him food because in general he does not say he is hungry unless he really is so we settled on him having a graham cracker which he could eat while we read books.  I think he used that minute alone in his room to think of the food idea.

Then when we were in his room reading books I told him I needed to put his "medicine" on his face which is lotion since this time of year his cheeks are chapped.   So as usual after I put it on him he wants me to put it on my face which I do but tonight he took it to another level and wanted lotion on the lamp and the chair and the fan.  I had to laugh he is getting good.

Then after "needing" about 20 drinks of water which I denied I put him in his bed where he proceeded to let me know that Cat his stuffed animal needed medicine on his face.  So I applied a little to cat's cheeks kissed Symeon and called it a night.  I can't imagine what else he will come  up with when he really starts talking but I am sure he will have me laughing like he did tonight.  I so appreciate his creative inventive spirit in all aspects of life even bedtime.  

No comments: