Wednesday, November 16, 2011

At peace with the Mother I am

The past few weeks have been filled with a sense of peaceful contentment.  I am grateful for these times in life when you breathe deep and rest easy.  Yesterday was another one of those days and it struck me so deeply that I want to remember it.  I was a chaperon for Symeon's preschool class to the Children's Museum and I was so glad I was able to go.  Babes stayed home with her Daddy for a date morning so she was really happy when Symeon and I left for school.  We all got ready with special tee shirts, bathroom trips, and then off to the little bus which I think riding it was the highlight of the trip for Symeon.  I helped get everyone buckled in, handed out snacks, sang songs, and chatted with the little girls sitting around me.  When we arrived at the museum I was assigned 3 boys one being Symeon and two others.  One of the others is the handful of the class but we got along just fine no problems.  I guess I am my Mother's daughter since every field trip she went on her group was made up of the most difficult boys in my class and they always begged to be in her group.  She just had a way with them and I guess she passed that along because by the end of the day he was holding my hand.  Overall a really sweet kid who just needed some attention. 

When we went in we had so much fun climbing through tunnels in the jungle, chasing one another, playing in the bubble room where everyone was covered in bubbles, and Symeon stepped in a tray of bubbles up to his knee but it was such fun so who cared.  Then we painted and did dress up and enjoyed ourselves.  I loved every minute of it and as I looked around and the other Mother's were standing around talking and not playing I thought I am the Mother I want to be.  (No judgment toward the other Mother's who were chaperoning they were doing what they were comfortable with and I was doing the same.)  I love to play with my kids and with Symeon's class.  They were a great group of kids and Symeon has an awesome teacher who was great with them.  I played, I laughed, I encouraged, I hugged when someone cried, and I loved every minute of it.

I was also able to see Symeon in his element in his environment and I was so proud of him.  I realized that not only am I the Mother I want to be I am also raising my child they way I want him to be raised.  He was polite, caring, confident, and respectful.  He laughed easily, shared and was willing to get dirty.  He climbed,  helped his classmates, and enjoyed the adventure.  As I stepped back and watched him negotiate his world I was struck once again by what an amazing child I have been blessed with to raise.  I think I was struck with how willing he was to do his own thing without needing others to go along with him.  He was confident and his teacher often tells me Symeon is confident in what he likes and does not like and that is true.  He was able to play in groups and with other kids well yet if they began to act up in a way he was not comfortable with he walked away.  He was amazing and I was in awe of him and the little person he is becoming. 

I am at peace with the Mother I am and the son I am raising thanks be to God. 

No comments: