Saturday, January 8, 2011

Symeon and a few hard days

Symeon has had a few hard days of pushing boundaries in any way he can find but instead of posting on the challenges I have decided to tell two funny stories about this sweet little guy.  I could recount every hard moment but really it is my ministry to parent him and teaching him is what I am suppose to do so I guess we have had lots of teachable moments the last few days and it is good to learn. 

So tonight I am going to the bathroom and Symeon says he would like a snack.  I tell him I will gladly get him his snack when I am done using the potty.  He waits patiently by the door and when I am finished I proceed to wash my hands, turn off the light etc. to which he responds to me "I am losing my patience" I cracked up mostly because it was a phase I have said often over the last few days and it was funny to hear it out of his mouth instead of mine. 

The other day we were driving in the car and Marin was trying to get her arms out of her car seat straps and she was crying because she couldn't free herself.  I told her that she had to stay in her seat for safety and Symeon proceeded to tell her it was not safe to get out of her seat in the car and here is the funny part his reason.  "Babes McGee if you get out of your seat you could fall out of the car in the road and a car would squish your head and the tires would get stuck in your hair, right Mom?"  Well yes a bit shocked thinking where in the world does he come up with this stuff.  Babes accepted it without protest and we drove on but I was cracking up inside. 

Today I was putting Symeon in his car seat and he was giving me a hard time kind of twisting around and overall making it a difficult process so knowing he has a few rough days you can imagine one more fight was not in me and I snapped at him.  I used a harsh tone and some words I probably should not have used (not swear words or anything just harsh words that were a bit of an overreaction to the situation.)  I blame sleep deprivation because part of his hard days have been difficulty going to bed which has never been an issue for Symeon. So the next thing Symeon says is Mommy stop using those fresh words and stop talking like that.  He stopped me dead in my tracks because I say this to him not to use fresh words when talking to me or anyone.  Oh to hear my own words coming back at me, I apologized to him because I was out of line and often we went for a super fun afternoon as a family. 

So all in all we end our week on a high note lots of family fun, two sleeping kids, and two parents in bed.  Nice!

1 comment:

Jeff Delp said...

I like the Symeon's take on what happens if you fall out of the car. Someone told Sam that his brain would fall out if he hit his head on something too hard. He still takes that seriously and has tried to get Maya to believe it also. Pretty funny what they come up with!