Thursday, September 6, 2012

1st Day of Pre-school

It was with much anxiety and tears that we sent Marin for the first time ever to preschool and we were so glad that she had Symeon a second year preschooler to show her the ropes.   He was so sweet and kind to her showing her around and introducing her to her teacher who he knows well. 

I was sick to my stomach the morning of and cried the entire way home from the gym.  I even missed our street and had to circle around but as I pulled up to the house I gave my self a stern talking to sucked it up and went inside.  I opened our front door to find 2 kids all dressed and ready at 6:45 for school at 8:30 and Marin was dancing around singing this is my first day of school isn't it great Mom.  Yes was my response it is great and I am so excited for you both.  Hugs and kisses around telling them how great they looked and how much fun they were going to have, off to the kitchen to breakfast, our morning bible story which I cried through and a fun time of nervous excited chatter from us all. 

Shawn was able to join us and after pictures we were off.  We arrived at school and Symeon reassured Marin that he would show her around so after we stopped off in his class he took her by the hand and walked her to her class.  It was so sweet, Marin has told Shawn and I that she wanted only brother to walk her to her class but after some explanation we were allowed to accompany the duo.  They both said they would check on each other since their classes are right next to each other and attached by a bathroom.  I told them how sweet that was but that they needed to check with their teachers before they left their classes.  I also warned both teachers of their plans. 

We settled Marin in and introduced her to a new friend and then we settled Symeon in although he needed very little this year being the big man on campus.  We kissed them both told them we loved them and walked away.  What my heart was saying what are we doing?  I cried as I left a bitter sweet moment flooded with joy and pain in every moment. 

I was shocked to see how much I could get done in 3 hours but I made 3 stops, took a tour of a new work out facility, called a friend, set up a Hurray for the First Day Party, and was back at school to pick them up in time.  It was an adjustment to walk fast and be on a mission with  no bathroom breaks, refereeing, or snack breaks.  Although I enjoyed solitude which I do need and thrive when I have it I was more than ready to pick them up at 12.  They both came running with what they had made and with tales to tell of their first day.  I am still sick about it to be honest it is adjustment and a change for me which usually means some resistance and tears on my part.  I also know it is okay to grieve a time in life that is gone as long as I balance it with rejoicing in the time of life we are in right now both are beautiful.

So Hurray for the First Day of School, said with tears and a smile at the same time!

 Brother and sister love on their first day of school






 I wanted her to have her own picture since it was her first day of school ever it was a pretty special day for her.  


 Can't you just ready Symeon's mind okay Mom enough can we just get on with it.   










 Here she is walking up to her school all by herself, ahhh look out school her she comes!




 This was a big moment the key card.  Symeon did this all last year since it was his school but this year the little sister is in town and things are going to change. She was beyond excited for this right of passage.  


 Symeon still got to do the sign-in computer in the morning and show her how it is done.  She did the afternoon sign out.  


 After briefly stopping in Symeon's room so she would know where it was Symeon walked her to her room.  He grabbed her hand and led her down the hall so sweet.  He had his teachers eating out of his hand after they say this display of brotherly love and protection.  


 I am so glad they have each other to share these moments.  


Surrounded by her "men" who love her, adore her, and would do anything for her.  I pray she always has such amazing "men" in her life.  I can just hear both their minds no one is going to bother you and we are not leaving until we know you are okay!


 Settling in 

 Without this hat on you would see some watery eyes as he walked away from his baby girl.




 It can be as hard on a Daddy as it is on a Mommy to walk away and leave them in the hands of others.  Shawn and I went out for coffee after we left them ushering in a new phase in our family's life together.  


 I decided to institute a new tradition called Hurray for the First Day party!  I mean really it is fun to have a party and I love to celebrate milestones in life and this was one for us all.  So Hurray for the First Day party tradition has begun.  Simple a small gift, a fun cake, some flowers and lots of time to talk about their first day at school.  I loved it and so did they.  


 They wanted candles on the cake so we went with it and they made up their own Hurray for first day of school song which we all sung before they blew out the candles.  Love this tradition as well.  Here are the words to the song:

Hurray for the first day
Hurray for the first day
Hurray for the first day 
of school
(repeat two times)
Not it's time to celebrate
the person who had their first day
 of school!






















No comments: