Friday, December 2, 2011

We are homeowners

Well after about 6 months of looking and put in offers on 4 other houses we closed on our own house this week.  It was a weird experience to give someone that much money and then have them give us a house a bit surreal for us.  Today we took the kids over to the house to see it empty and let them run around.  I found it interesting that when I walked around the house when it belonged to someone else I saw all the beauty and when I walked through after we bought it I thought gosh there is a lot that needs to be done.  I guess things needing to be done is part of the package when you buy a 100 year old house.  I think projects in process is probably something I am going to have to get used to in our new home.  I was also overwhelmed with a profound sense of gratefulness as I stepped into our home.  We were able to find the type of house I wanted that was big enough for our family and for Shawn's office and in the neighborhood we really wanted to live in.

Our new home is walking distance to lots of stuff, two of the big parks in our city, closer to downtown,  near a bus line and most important near a bike lane.  It has a great yard with room for a garden and 5 bedrooms for lots of guests. 

Here are a few pictures of our newest home.  I don't like to say to our first home because all of the other places we have lived have been home although we didn't own them but I am looking forward to putting our touch on this place in a way we never have in any of our other homes. 

 Home sweet home

 Marin was a little distracted on the walk up eating snow


 Symeon walked right up to the door and was ready to go inside


 Here they are getting our first key out of the lockbox


 Here they are looking for our first and only key after it fell


 Hanging up our jackets for the first time.  Obviously the previous owners had a kid since there were coat hooks just their size.  


 Checking out the sunroom


 Babes breaking in our new house with a dramatic scene over a box


 Babes found the perfect seat


Finally playing a little tag in our new family room

There are a few things we want to have done before we move in so we will probably wait until after the new year which is fine since I am dreading packing up and moving again although we are hoping this will be it for awhile. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Shelva! I'm so happy for you guys! BTW..I love Marin's hair. I can't believe how quickly she's gone from baby girl to big girl!

Michelle S.

Lisa said...

SO exciting!! Congratulations! Sounds like its going to be perfect for you. What a perfect excuse for me to come visit. :)

Amy said...

Congrats! How exciting. May you have many happy memories there. It 'might' be the 1st house the kids remember down the road! Looks beautiful!