Monday, April 19, 2010

Throwing things, silly sayings, everyday questions, talking in your sleep

I have learned over the last several days that I throw things a lot!  Now before anyone starts to worries I don't throw things in fits of rage or anything just in my everyday life I throw things.  For example if I have something to throw in the trash I chuck it toward the trash to see if I score two points I guess my Academy basketball days are never far from my mind.  If I have shoes to put away I toss them toward the basket.  If Shawn asks me for a pen I toss it to him.  This habit is not something I really  noticed until you see yourself in your children and you think oh no that is not good.  In general I do not have a problem with tossing things when appropriate but as you can imagine a two year old sees these actions and is delighted to know it is "okay" to chuck anything you want whenever you want.  So the other night Shawn asked me for a gramham cracker and I tossed it to him then Symeon asked for a gramham cracker and I gave him one and he threw it and I was like what are you doing and he said Mommy and then he threw his arm back and heaved it forward again.  In that moment Shawn and I started laughing and then told Symeon Mommy was wrong and should not have thrown the gramham cracker.  Over the past several days he has reminded me several times that I threw something at Shawn and I have become very careful with throwing things! 

Symeon is understanding more and  more these days and I have to be careful about what I say to him.  When I am stressed with the kids sometimes I will say these rediculous things to make myself laugh and let go of my stress which usually works.  I often crack myself up and until this point it went unrealized by my kids.  So for example Symeon was crying and whining the other night about his finger but honestly there was nothing wrong with it and after awhile it was getting to me so insert my idea and I jokingly say if it hurts to bad we will just have to cut it off.  Shawn and I both laughed it off and the next thing I know Symeon is pointing at the counter and crying even harder.  I had no idea what was going on and finally when I picked him up to the counter through his tears he pointed at the knives and then to his finger.  When I said no we could not cut his finger off he began howling.  So if you want to feel like a horrible Mom tell your two year old you have to cut their finger off and then don't.  Another lesson learned no more "silly" statements that I don't think they understand. 

Everyday for breakfast and lunch Shawn asks Symeon, "What should Daddy have for lunch?"  and everyday Symeon after giving it some thought and saying "ummm" like he is pondering this deep questions tells Shawn cheese.  So imagine this question twice a day everyday for a long time and every time the answer is cheese until the other day when Symeon looked at Shawn and told him MMM's which are M&M's and I thought I have taught him well.  Good answer my dear guy! 

Symeon has been very sick yet again so I have had lots of nights of sleeping with him or at least near enough to hear him talking and several things have struck me as pretty funny.  2 year olds still claim things as "mine" when they are sleeping, they still laugh, and they still blame their "babies" for things even using the same blaming tone he uses when he is awake.   

No comments: