Wednesday, May 1, 2013

This is how the conversation went

We are at the breakfast table the other  morning and this is what I heard as my back was turned.  They both had cereal with milk that morning which is key to the conversation.

Symeon:  Marin do you know what milk is?
Marin: No brother what is milk?
Me thinking this ought to be good I am interested to hear what he has to say
Symeon: Cow pee
Marin: Cow pee? with great inflection
Me: laughing hysterical
Symeon: Yup cows pee milk that's how we get it
Marin: oh
Me:  Milk is not cow pee.  Cows pee and they give us milk they are not the same.
Symeon: starts laughing so I am not sure if he knew that and was pulling one over on his sister or not


Skip forward a couple of days to this conversation:

Marin: Mommy I want to go to San Francisco so I can sleep in the top bunk of a bunk bed (history last time we went to San Fran I would not let either of them sleep in the top bunk in our condo because they both fell out of bed often at that point)
Me:  Well I don't think we are going to San Fran anytime soon.  There are bunk beds in other places besides San Fran.
Marin:  Oh yeah I would like to get bunk beds in my room.
Me:  Marin there is nothing wrong with your bed I know bunk beds are fun but we are not going to buy just because.  Remember we have been talking about some kids do not have beds and they sleep on a pile of clothes.
Marin:  Yes Mama that is sad but I would still like bunk beds.
Me: (Switch tactics) Marin bunk beds are expensive where are we going to get the money for bunk beds.
Marin:  From cows
Me: Did you just say from cows?  (laughing)
Marin:  Yes
Me:  How are we going to get money from cows? (still laughing she caught me off guard)
Marin:  Because they pee milk
Me:  I'm not sure how that will get us money?
Marin:  Because they pee milk (a bit of indignation and a bit louder like obviously I just didn't hear her because if I had I would have made the obvious connection)
Me:  (I am really laughing at this point)  I finally just had to remind her that cows don't pee milk and that we don't own a cow.  (We were so far from the bunk beds she just moved on)


Today:

Marin woke up and this was our conversation:

Me:  Babes look out the window
Marin:  oh snow
Me:  yes can you believe it snow on May 1st
Marin:  it is May?
Me: yes
Marin: oh yah Symeon it is my birthday today
Me:  Marin it is the first day of May your birthday is May 16th in a couple of weeks
Marin:  starts crying my birthday is in May and today is May so today is my birthday
Me:  hugging and loving I know it is hard to understand but it is a little bit until your birthday
Marin: can't today be my birthday crying
Me:  Not today (but in an attempt to redirect) I chose the topic of class pictures at preschool and what she wanted to wear.  Crisis averted as she began to consider her wardrobe options.  I will have you know she went with a cute sun dress in the middle of a May snow storm.




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hysterical. You DO have anough room for a couple cows in that back yard....it would probably only take you a couple years to save up enough from your milk sales to pay for bunk beds.